List of potential gemstone based metamaterials
For a general discussion main go up to the main article: "Gemstone based metamaterial"
List of new materials / base technologies
The set of here presented meta-materials seems less speculative and more incomplete than the list of applications on the products page. It is sorted by design/programming effort which is rather subjective and subject to debate.
- simple standard macro diamondoid structural meta materials
- molecular filters
- macroscopic super-bearings (one can only see a speed gradient)
- anisotropic material properties (e.g. scissoring mechanisms material)
- data storage material and the like
- artificial muscles with higher power densities than today's combustion engines. They can replace today's (2014) electrical motors that often use the not too abundant/accessible rare earth elements.
- absolutely silent (macro motionless) pumps a "pumping material" with no movable parts which are visible to the naked eye.
- cells for the direct conversion from mechanical to chemical energy and vice versa (chemomechanical converters).
- super-fast shearing valves
- material structuring into microcomponents for recycling and recomposition
- structures borrowed from origami techniques
- tensegrity structures.
- emulated color -- local control makes that a display, light emitting systems might be more heterogenous (lasers?)
- transformer metamaterials: purely mechanical pulse width modulation and other materials for energy conversion
- transparent cloth with switchable stiffening e.g. for a helmet of an AP suit (interspersed multi-function metamaterial?)
- density shifting via translocation of mass carriers (possibly carrying lead atoms in diamiondoid form)
- "elastic diamond" (made possible through the implementation as a semi active metamaterial)
- maximizing emulated toughness ("beefy" that is much volume occupying dissipation elements are needed - how far can be gone with active high power cooling ?)
- materials with choosable / adjustable stress-strain diagram (emulated elastoplasticity)
- actively self cleaning surfaces (no "stupid" lotus effect meant here) (macroscopic shell cleaning)
- self repairing materials and self repairing macroscopic machine parts - no decay through weather or root growth.
- combinations of several metamaterial properties that don't get too well together
- .... and many more